Wednesday 13 February 2013

A Samurai's Tale

Samsung Bada

One thing I feel strongly about as a university student is taking advantage of your opportunities and doing extra curriculum activities. Namely, by doing things outside of your university work to help yourself gain enough skills to gain a good job after University as well as because that is arguably how we humans are meant to live, we are meant to grow and develop, in terms of skills and in terms of our goals and aims.
Last semester I was very busy teaching students part-time as well as trying to finish up my 1st semester. Around that time I was also asked to join a competition team to help with the art for a game with the working title of Samurai Tale. The competition was Samsung Bada and I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to develop my skills.

I find that I am generally a versatile artist and feel like I can comfortably tackle most art tasks. I honestly feel that I have a lot more interest in 2D art, as I feel it connects more with drawing , which is what I feel is traditionally the term of art and that is what I appreciate most in terms of what 'art' is for me. They already had 2 other artists and were needed someone to animate the characters that were made.

I also find much joy in graphic design so I created the logo for the game:





The main task that I was assigned to during the design period was doing all of the in game animations, from running, to sword swings, to picking up items, idle, walk etc ect. Creating these animations is a very time consuming procedure and to save time and learn more efficient ways of animating I learnt how to repeat animation loops using the graph editor and other advanced techniques such as coding objects. Overall it was a great learning experience and I feel I have personally gained more skill within 3D animation of top of what I already knew beforehand.

Bellow is a video of one of the animations I did of the main Hero character:


No comments:

Post a Comment