Friday 1 February 2013

Life Drawing: Addressing Skill Gaps

Further life drawing personal development. 

These sketches were done to focus on particular skill gaps. 


The hands in particular, many find extremely difficult to draw, I myself find them hard to draw in terms of being believable with no references. 

Why do people struggle so much with hands?

People struggle to draw hands effectively due to their detailed nature and unpredictability. Unpredictable due to there being five fingers which must all be considered in terms of angle, perspective and length. It is hard enough to predict what the perspective of a single object is, so when dealing with five fingers it can get tricky.

My Solution:

My solution to this is to draw the palm of the hand first, then to branch off five fingers as blocks with two pivots within it. This way, if you get the palm right itself, it's just a matter of thinking about how far certain fingers can bend and then deciding what type of hand you are drawing; a soft feminine hand, a strong rough masculine hand etc etc. 


A comparison sketch of the same person, one done in 15 minutes and one done in 5 minutes.

Observational drawing from a  side on angle which I sometimes struggle with, particular with the features of the nose and lips. This was a rather successful attempt. 























An observational drawing of female, this one in particular I was focusing on shading and lighting which I sometimes struggle with, this turned out fairly successful as I created a lot more softer shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment