Friday 11 January 2013

Unite with Unity




So after a lot of browsing, I have decided that for my honours project, I will be using Unity to create my 2D platformer, it took quite a lot of convincing but after some research and actually using Unity itself, I found out how it's a really straight forward piece of software and is far more powerful than Flash is in terms of it's capabilities. So because of this I thought it was worth getting involved with and finally uniting with Unity.

This was the post that changed my mind:

Unity London Meet: Creating 2D Platformers



In the above talk which is in the link, Tom Jackson AKA Quickfingers talks about game development and how he got into it. He started out as a graphic designer within the games industry, then he moved on to designing video games starting out with using flash. His games were successful gaining millions of views, so he decided to take it up more seriously and got jobs as a programmer and designer. He later discovered Unity and stopped using Flash due to it's cross-platforming ability and it's huge database of knowledge and user help.



























Quickfingers created the above game 'Boom Bugs' using Unity and changing the camera to a front on view which makes the 3D planes with 2D images on them look like it is a 2D game, he explains in detail how it is built and that it also runs on Unity's physics engine. All of these things are the reasons why i feel unity will be a great place to start in creating a more in depth game and also Thomas was Alone by Mike Bethel was also created using Unity. 

Using Unity



















After playing around with unity for a while, I created a simple platformer character and also a pause menu and I found it fairly easy to use, especially being the first time. Unity is easy to use although like every game developing software requires the user to know how to code certain aspects of the game which will be my biggest struggle, although with the Unity community support and sheer determination, I feel confident that I can produce a high quality game after much iteration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment