Friday 3 May 2013

Artwork: where I used to be, where I am now

Personal Progress

It's funny how many artists never really feel that they are progressing with their art skills year after year, although I feel that is not realistic to think this way if you have deductive reasoning skills and if you are drawing even if it's less than once a week, if you really want to be a better artist, you do get better.

I realized that just by looking at things in a different way, it has helped develop my art skills. When I look at a person or an object with an art minded perspective instead of just looking, I start to gain a visual library which helps me develop my art and ability. Feng Zhu has a perfect video which explains exactly what I mean and he coined the term Visual Library which struck a chord with me. I feel that this past year has developed my visual library and I feel a lot more confident in drawing things entirely from my imagination. The video is bellow:


He gives the example of asking anyone to draw an 'Ant' and see what happens. Those who have seen a lot of ants or have studied them, or even better have drawn them before will have a much more accurate attempt at drawing an ant as opposed to those who have barely noticed the anatomy of an ant and not drawn them before.

A 5 min sketch with reference.

A 2-3 hour sketch of my promotional poster with no reference.

10 min rough thumbnail sketch of the level design.

15 min sketch of a life drawing model, then a further 10 mins to color it in with COPIC markers.

30 min sketch of the promotional concept art work which was later painted along with more art for the game. I could see that the COPIC markers helped define the style of art I was creating.

A more developed story board which I showed to my brother Kensei who animated from this scene with his own creative freedom. It displays a kid being bullied and then giving up on life in the middle of the road as a car beeps the horn, then Tony comes into his head to save him.

A development sketch of the Main Menu.

Figuring out the explosion animation and blinking of the blocks.

2 min quick thumbnail sketch of level design ideas.

2 min quick thumbnail sketch of level design ideas.

2 min quick thumbnail sketch of level design ideas.

2 min quick thumbnail sketch of level design ideas.

A 20 min sketch of an alternative design for the main character Tony as a robot. With a reference from the Edge magazine.

10 min sketch figuring out the poses of Tony following anatomy references.

10 min sketch figuring out the poses of Tony following anatomy references.

More alternative designs of Tony and some level design sketches.

Level 1 Concept Sketch:20 min sketch with art design and feel in focus for Level 1.


Level 2 Concept Sketch: A 15 min sketch with art design and feel in focus for Level 2.

Level 3 Concept Sketch: A 20 min sketch with art design and feel in focus for Level 3.



Level 4 Concept Sketch: A 20 min sketch with art design and feel in focus for Level 4.

Level 1: A more intermediate level design sketch of level one with the player experience at the forefront.

Level 2: A more intermediate level design sketch of level two with the player experience at the forefront. The blocks would fall down at a fast speed and you would have to catch the right one before it falls.

Level 3: A more intermediate level design sketch of level three with the player experience at the forefront. The introduction of the 'Big Bad Block'

Level 4: A more intermediate level design sketch of level four with the player experience at the forefront. The longest level with a surprise at the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment