Sunday 19 May 2013

Post-Inspiration: Dundee Showcase & Obsolete



DJCAD Degree Show 2013

After I handed in my dissertation, I went to visit the Dundee showcase in Dundee Univeristy in combination with Duncan and Jordanstones. In all honesty, it was one of the most mind blowing and eye opening experiences in which I saw a level of dedication to the arts and crafts from students that I have never seen before. It really put things into perspective for me that a University just a few meters away has so much talent and skill and makes me feel so inspired to keep trying and doing what I love as the students in Dundee are also doing.

Also, importantly  the showcase being 1 week before Abertays showcase allowed me to see what exhibitions would look like. I studied and took pictures of other peoples work and the way they set it up to help me again a better understanding of what looks better and how to present my work. One key thing that stood out for me was that most of their work was presented in a 3D way in which their artwork would pop off the wall due to their use of 3D foam square stickers, due to this I decided to buy my own and am excited for showcase day which is soon to come.

Although first my presentation is tomorrow and I have been working on my presentation since yesterday and am looking forward to it. The Dundee showcase video is bellow:




Vimeo Staff Pick - Obsolete


Obsolete from Smoking Robot on Vimeo.

I also stumbled upon this animation recently which I felt was really relevant to my game Destony and for future work for my game, I would love to use the same colour scheme and vibe that this short animation uses. It captures the exact feelings of trying to find the positives in a dark world and set yourself free. If I had more time, I would have loved to make a game out of these same visuals and the same emotive design, so this was a late inspiration but i thought it was worth sharing the visual significance of this.

You can see the screenshots of the animation bellow. The great use of colour contrast of golds and blacks.























No comments:

Post a Comment