Tuesday 19 March 2013

Coding Issues: Block Collision

Why Coders get paid more than Artists?

Yup, I said it. Yes, I am an artist and have been one since I was around 5 years old  or maybe younger. I have been drawing since I can remember, but now I am programming or at least trying to and I have come to realize that it takes a lot of creativity, arguably more than art itself.



With art, you can almost literally produce anything and it is considered Art as long as the purpose was for it to be admired or critically appraised. With coding, it a whole different ball game, the level of creativity is on a of mental exhaustion is on entirely a different level. Coding in most cases, takes far longer than the art process, particularly with a 3D game engine. I have to admit that I have many times unappreciated the efforts that coders go through. I think it's a trait many of us artists share, who think that because coders lack a certain visual understanding, that they cannot really appreciate what we do, although through coding myself, I feel humbled by anyone who codes and takes it seriously.

Speaking of someone I respect, and someone who was a big help for me during my game development process. That someone was Alastair Low, who also has a blog on his 4th ear development: http://alshonours.blogspot.co.uk/

Alastair was the one who got me kick started with Unity a while back as we would meet up every Friday at 10am to work on our honours together. The work sessions we had were always quite productive and it was an inspiration to see how focused he was and to try and take notes from his highly productive work ethic. I suggest any student to meet up with like minded people and do the same.

He made this for me for my birthday which was very kind of him.

 Block Collision Issue

One of the Friday work sessions with Al, we encountered an issue. This issue was basically that the white boxes within the game would not destroy on collision with the main character. Alastair tried to help me with this and tried replacing certain code for the collision using JavaScipt, but nothing was working.

The white box and the character.

This is the JavaScript of collision script that we tried to use and it didn't work. We actually tried several different versions of scripts, may of which had worked for Al and for other unity members but it didn't work for me.

After a few hours of frustration, we looked out for some coders to try and help me with my issue and low and behold after 3 different programmers came and helped me, one programmer named Alan Roberston finally figured it out, that JavaScript basically didn't work and that using C# (the above code) works and finally the problem was solved and the coding battle had been fought and won with the help of Abertay coders


No comments:

Post a Comment